Ten things to do in 2006

Sunday, January 01, 2006

1.Spend more time with family

One of my friend's fathers died last week. It's the same scary story that's so ubiquitous now: he was 53 and in relatively good health, went out to walk the dog one day and came back with chest pains; he collapsed and died without regaining consciousness.

When I was a kid I used to be terrified that my parents would suddenly disappear or die on me. I would wake up a few times every night and pad over to my parents' room just to make sure that they were still there and still alive. I had to hover my hand over my mum's nose to check on her breathing (my dad was okay, cos he snored) because I was suspiciously convinced that evil forces could have substituted dummies for my parents and by the time I found out in the morning it would have been too late.

Now I no longer worry about my parents dying. I'm neither emotionally nor financially dependent on them anymore. But my parents are great company and they're still the wisest people I know, in addition to being the only people in my world that truly understand and are interested in what I do at work. I know they're not going to be here forever, but I don't want to have any regrets about not having spent enough time with them when they do go.

And my brother will enlist on January 6. Haha good luck to him.

2. Help people

It starts February 4. I hope I'm up to it.

3. Travel more

I still haven't gone beyond Malaysia in South-east Asia.

4. Worry less

Things always happen when I least expect them to. If I wake up when I'm 25 and look in the mirror to see wrinkles, I will kill myself.

5. Work harder

Or maybe just try to stop arriving at work 20 minutes late. I think my boss reads this blog.

6. Be kinder and wiser

After all, I'm older.

7. Manage my money better

Do I want to carry Gucci now or drive an Audi later?

8. Be a better friend

Pay it forward.

9. Learn more

CPA/CFA, non-fiction, documentaries, languages, sports - bring it on.

10. Go to more parties

Self-explanatory.

It's gonna be a - a happy new year!

posted by zyn :: 11:28 PM :: 5 Comments :: permalink


--------------------------------------------------------::--------------------------------------------------------