lfg* and cny snippets

Friday, February 23, 2007

1.

Anyone interested in taking CFA in Dec? I want to do it but I am very bad at discipline and stuff so I need someone to poke and prod me along. I only taking Level 1 though <-- example of me being bad at discipline and stuff. :(

(*lfg = Looking For Group (e.g. to do quests or kill people) in WoW lingo. It has come to my notice that there are people who don't play WoW!! I mean, who knew?! So now I will endeavour to explain all WoW references.)

2.

Last year was the year of the Dog. Fittingly, I worked hard. This year is the year of the Pig. Equally fittingly, I have done very little so far but eat. This has led to two things:

One, me being down with a throat infection after gobbling six Ferrero Rochers and an unquantifiable amount of bak kwa almost all at once;

Two, me getting fat (don't groan, bear with me). I haven't had a flat stomach for weeks now, since I quit my gym. Will probably join California Fitness soon except that I have commitment phobia and the showers there are gross. But I do want a flat stomach. Sigh.

3.

Most people's Chinese New Year conversations, I imagine, go like this:

Nosy aunt/uncle/your dad's second cousin's husband: Wah so big already ah! So when are you getting married?
Unfortunate victim: Uh... ahahaha. Donno lah.

Mine mostly went like this:

Nosy aunt/uncle/my dad's second cousin's husband: Wah write so many articles ah! So when should I buy house?
Unfortunate victim (i.e. me): Uh... ahahaha. Donno lah.

All in all, though, it was a good CNY. Even though it descended upon me this year with the awkward abruptness of a nervous virgin with low EQ (not that I have any personal experience with that). And even though I had to work two out of three days.

But it made me appreciate Sumiko Tan's column about infrequently met relatives. I have the deepest affection for my cousins, but really very little to say to them three days in a row. And especially now that many of them are married, which gives us even less in common. Which also brings me to

3.

So many of my friends are getting married. I am in the deepest awe. Sometimes I wish - ah, but if wishes were Ferraris. Congratulations to all!

(I foresee an expensive year.)

4.

The other day I went to Dom's house to listen to music. I know it sounds weird, but it was actually quite fun. Inspired by that visit I bought five CDs today:

Kings of Convenience - Riot on an Empty Street
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Joni Mitchell - Hits
Zazie - Rodeo (The closest thing to Alizee that That CD Shop could recommend)
High Society - Mansion 3

So far only the Massive Attack and Zazie one have impressed me. But I've met my CD quota for this month already so I'll just have to try again next month. Maybe I'll get The Smiths and Counting Crows. And something funky. Average White Band? That's the only funky thing I know, haha. Recommendations, as always, hugged to bits.

5.

If you've made it all the way down here, wow. You deserve a reward. Rewards are categorised into:

(1) If you know my beloved er zi Josh: Josh sneering, gangsta-style

(2) If you don't (shame on you): Justin Timberlake. Watch it. Trust me.

posted by zyn :: 12:34 PM :: 7 Comments :: permalink


--------------------------------------------------------::--------------------------------------------------------