contented rambles

Saturday, July 08, 2006

As much as I love people, and conversations, and alcohol, and late nights, sometimes it feels so good to just come home early and nest. Quiet time, when you can eat ice cream out of the pint and put on a hairband and slouch around in a tank top and awesome Levi's boxers with a special little square pocket for that special thing you carry when you know you might meet a special someone.

But I do love people. This is, I think, a recent development, and possibly overcompensation for my painfully shy childhood. Fortunately my work is all about meeting people - not just strangers, but also people I work with, who are similar in the important things (smart, sense of humour, can speak good English; yes, go on, judge me) and different in interesting ways. The best thing about other people is that none of them are me. I love learning new things, so I tend only to be attracted to people who can teach me stuff - which, luckily, is most people. I have pledged, for instance, to learn something new about sports every day. Shouldn't be too hard, since I know as much about sports as I do about, say, yetis.

And the best people are those you can hang out with without fear of awkward silences. Either there's so much conversation there's no time to be quiet, or they're comfortable with not talking all the time, both of which are rare. Also rare are truly spontaneous people, who will agree to watch a movie with you half an hour before it starts in a location 20 minutes away.

Here's to people. Except the boring ones who can't hold a conversation for nuts.

* * * * * *


Old and overused quote, but still good.

The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars...

-- On The Road, Jack Kerouac.

posted by zyn :: 12:07 AM :: 5 Comments :: permalink


--------------------------------------------------------::--------------------------------------------------------