protege

Sunday, February 25, 2007

I'd had two beers before the movie and so I was all prepared to snuggle up and take a little nap during the show. But Protege turned out to be, somewhat surprisingly, very, very good. It's kind of like Infernal Affairs meets Requiem for a Dream, but a bit grittier than the former and less likely to make you gouge your own eyes out than the latter. (Man, I will never forget that night in Princeton.)

Daniel Wu is lovely (he really reminds me of John K for some reason), the gorgeous Louis Koo is unrecognisable (always the hallmark of an award-winning show), and I will even spare a grudging accolade for Andy Lau (Linqi are you reading this?). And the little girl kept making me want to cry.

Highly recommended. With or without the beer.

posted by zyn :: 3:30 AM :: 0 Comments :: permalink


--------------------------------------------------------::--------------------------------------------------------