playground politics

Sunday, May 27, 2007

I get a lot of flak for being elitist, even though I am sooooo not. One of our interns at work, for instance, comes up to me and says, "We're doing a feature on elitist people, can I interview you?" Very rude. Interns these days, no big no small.

Anyway there are a thousand and one people who are more elitist than me. Starting with, probably, the elitism reporter. (Haha.) And the person who told me tonight that I should not go out with people who were deemed uncool in primary/secondary school because "it's playground politics lah" and "it never goes away one".

Compelling argument, you say? As not only a bullheaded contrarian but someone who is genuinely attracted to uncool people (as my dear friends keep pointing out), I beg to differ. Uncool people have their merits. For one thing, they don't wear sunglasses (or caps) indoors. They also typically look all cute and dorky and baulk in the most endearing way at the pricetag on a Paul Smith shirt. And, most importantly, they don't sit around at The Cannery pretending to enjoy themselves and substituting camera-clicking for conversation.

However, it must be said that most people who were uncool in primary/secondary school - and felt it - tend to overcompensate in their later life. This translates into several kinds of behaviours, including the sunglasses thing. The truth is, if you were once categorised as uncool, it will take a lot to change that image of yourself in your own head, which means you will never stop trying. Also, people bitch freely, so chances are everyone you newly meet will one day meet someone you once knew who thought (and still thinks) of you as uncool. This is why your reputation is so important from the very first time you form one.

Me, I was far from cool in school. And I just bought sunglasses. Woohooooo.

* * * * * *


Last week's weekly CD shopping spree: I squashed a deep-seated hatred of Michael Buble to buy It's Time because it has my favourite oldie song on it. Unsurprisingly, I totally regret buying it now. The CD sucks. Michael Buble sucks. I can't muster up any respect for it or him. And, as people keeping pointing out, I could have just downloaded the song.

The new Maroon 5 CD fared better, although I'm a bit paiseh to tell people I like Maroon 5. Hehe.

My Chemical Romance was, as I. warned, "very noisy leh".

All in all, I have to say my best buy last week was A-Mei's The Power of Love compilation. Really very diva. Very shiok.

posted by zyn :: 3:52 AM :: 12 Comments :: permalink


--------------------------------------------------------::--------------------------------------------------------