sunday night wrap

Monday, May 14, 2007

"If you could have any superpower," I asked D. the other night, "what would it be?"

"I don't suppose I can have a superpower that would allow me to have all the other superpowers I wanted, huh," he replied.

"No," I said. "Don't be a smartass."

Eventually he picked "being able to be happy all the time". Which, I thought, was a crap superpower because Happyman just doesn't cut it. But he argued that the only thing everyone really wants is to be happy, so that was the best superpower.

But is that really true? Is a constant state of happiness really the ultimate goal in everyone's life? If so, that would make me weird again, because I don't want to be happy all the time. In fact, being depressed or worried or stressed or angry at appropriate intervals would - without arguing semantics - please me, more than being absolutely and unwaveringly happy all the time.

Take this week, for instance. I didn't work at all. I spent the whole week just - trying to be happy, and for the most part succeeding. I read books, watched videos, went to the gym, met up with friends, had lots of drinks and conversation, drove around, did shopping and beauty stuff, ate good food, and even tried out increasingly experimental recipes. Cooking, in particular, makes me happy. I haven't cooked since the year I spent every other weekend in a little studio kitchenette in New York. So - I spent a week being happy. And yet I wasn't.

Because being happy isn't enough to make me happy. I don't want to be just happy. Happy is such a mediocre word, and we all know mediocrity is a fate worse than death. (Or, in this case, worse than unhappiness.) I want to be challenged, I want to be overworked, to be fighting deadlines one night and pissing drunk the next and over-repentantly pious the night after that. I want conversations in which people argue and get passionate and clever and bitchy, not those where there's bland happy agreement all round. I want unpleasantness and drama and tension. I don't want happy.

So if I could choose a superpower, as most of the people with whom I've discussed this know, I would pick teleportation. Because I'm really lazy.

In other news, I now have The Sun Eater and Crest of the Sha'tar. Am 12 badges of justice away from Farstrider Defender's Cloak and god knows how many heroic ramparts/BF runs away from Lion's Heart Girdle/Eaglecrest Warboots. The other day Marcus pointed out that my helm wasn't really worth it, and I guess the epic belt isn't really for tanking either. But as I told him - I just enjoy having epixxx. Hehe.

Actually I'm getting a bit bored of the game. Zynfandel can't really upgrade much without Kara and my guild is too emo to organise raids. In the meantime I'm too lazy to level my brother's level 45 dwarf priest and too sian to start all over with my draenei shaman (Chyanti) or my gnome mage (Shyraz) or the other Zynfandel, my gorgeous blood elf mage on Gorgonnash, which I only play when the Oceanic servers are down. WoW is just taking up too much time. I need a new hobby. Maybe wakeboarding. :)

posted by zyn :: 1:15 AM :: 7 Comments :: permalink


--------------------------------------------------------::--------------------------------------------------------