hong kong

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Back for four days and all I can think about is that pair of CK shoes that I didn't buy at the Club21 outlet (yes my friends there is a Club21 outlet and you should all go. Now).

Like every experience, you remember after it only the best parts: the cool weather, nonstop shopping, good food; watching cheap DVDs in our sparkling hotel room with the pause button repeatedly pressed for commentary; the Club21 outlet (have I mentioned that yet?). Maybe that's what gives us humans hope in life - short memories.

HK also got me thinking about friends. So many of them are circumstantial - school friends, college dormmates, colleagues. You keep in touch after it's over, but it's never really the same. This weekend, for instance, two of my college roommates are marrying each other, people I haven't seen for over a year and will likely never see again. Fortunately there's the flip side: I met two of my Harvard friends in HK whom, even though they're not Singaporean, I've met up with more often than any of the Singaporeans I went to Harvard with. And an old friend from Beijing is coming to stay with me next weekend, despite the fact that we haven't seen each other for five years.

The handful of people that still bother to keep in touch with me after all these years are the only ones I can really call friends. And that's already more than enough, to meet more than one person you can be yourself around. So I count myself lucky and accept that from here on, the chances of meeting people who can become real friends will just get smaller and smaller.

posted by zyn :: 5:39 PM :: 3 Comments :: permalink


--------------------------------------------------------::--------------------------------------------------------