in sickness and self pity

Saturday, June 17, 2006

I'm sick. My skin hurts, my bones feel like glass, and my head is on fire. I blame my mahjong kakis, who refused to let me leave until 5.30 in the morning ("One more round lah! It's only 4am!"). But I ended up winning, so ha.

I didn't want to tell my parents I was sick though, because then they'd have ammunition to stop me playing midnight mahjong in the future. So even though I wisely cancelled all my other appointments today, I dragged myself out of bed to go out for dinner with my family.

Big mistake.

First, we went to this awful restaurant in Novena called The Vines Seafood and Steak Restaurant or something, which is basically Jack's Place with a different name, which makes it just one step up from Hans. The food is very cheap, because it's very mediocre. Okay lah it wasn't really awful, but my salmon wasn't fresh and I don't like unfresh fish. (I'm grumpy cos I'm sick.) The whole thing reminded me of those faux-atas Western-style restaurants we used to go to in secondary school or JC when we wanted to, like, celebrate an occasion too special for McDonald's. But the service was excellent. Not that I'd go back.

Then there was the fact that I'd completely underestimated how sick I was. I spent the whole dinner with my fiery head in my hands, so obviously wretched that the manager came over to offer me a Panadol (see, excellent service). But I hate to admit weakness, so I soldiered on eating and talking until I stood up and almost fainted. Turns out I have a temperature of 39.2, which I consider a perfectly respectable reason to stay in bed the whole weekend. Yay.

Panadol makes me rambly.

posted by zyn :: 10:05 PM :: 2 Comments :: permalink


--------------------------------------------------------::--------------------------------------------------------