People I Hate Part One: Hardsellers

Monday, July 10, 2006

So I decided to start a very constructive series of entries describing the people I hate and why I hate them.

Today's topic: people who try to sell me stuff. Incompetently.

Scenario: TrueSpa called me up last week to offer me a free massage. Since I am a sucker for massages, and for free things, I happily accepted. So today I drove down to Taka - in the rain, no less - to get my free massage. It only lasted half an hour and was actually quite good (although I think people are afraid to massage me because there's very little between my skin and my bones; my masseuse today kept asking if I was feeling any pain and pointing out how skinny I was, which was actually quite annoying, but that's for Part Two).

After the massage, the hardsell started. A perfectly coiffed and mascaraed girl in very high heels sat me down with a cup of peppermint tea (nowhere as good as the ginger tea at Raffles Amrita, which is sublime) and proceeded to offer me, in very bad English (Part Three), 28 massage sessions for $2000. That works out to about $70 per massage and isn't a bad deal at all, but yesterday I'd already taken a plunge and committed myself to a year-long facial package, so I was still reeling from, like, making commitments and stuff. I told this mascared girl that I had to go think about it, and she replied, "Why? Why must think?"

Instead of saying what was on my mind ("Don't sound so surprised, some people actually think") I was very nice and made some noncommittal statement about needing to mull over commitment-type decisions. To which she replied, "But why? What is the reason?" And from then on, to everything I said she would simply respond, "Why? What is the reason?" like some kind of badly-programmed telemarketing record. This went on for an interminably long while until I finally lost it, told her: "Look, I'm not going to make a decision now and I really need to leave", and walked out.

If only I could be as firm about saying no to guys. I've missed three calls from this one guy (two accidentally, one kind of on purpose), and have very little inclination to call him back. What I usually do in these situations is ignore it all and hope that it goes away and that I never accidentally run into him again in a bar (which has actually happened once, not cool). I blame this escapism on my star sign but in reality I'm just very bad at letting people down gently. I have no idea how to go about doing it. I should probably learn.

On a sort of related note, I have sworn off Friendster, and now I only check facebook for references, so don't Friendster me anything because I doubt I'll ever log on again.

I'm not very happy with my latest haircut. I'm seriously considering changing my hairstylist, but that seems like such a drastic move and I really like him.

This is such an uncohesive entry that there's no good way to end it, so - yeah.

posted by zyn :: 1:38 AM :: 2 Comments :: permalink


--------------------------------------------------------::--------------------------------------------------------