my day today

Friday, May 16, 2008

Today was one of those super-productive days that I haven't had for goodness knows how long, and I didn't realise how much I missed it until it hit me in the head. I remember working late, last time, on three or four stories at one go and frantically banging out paragraphs on whichever story I suddenly felt inspiration for and refueling on tea and retreating for a smoke every five minutes, not so much for the nicotine high as for a chance to look away from the computer and clear my head.

I don't smoke anymore. I'm glad. But I also haven't felt the other kind of high, the work high, for a long time now.

It's 2am but I don't really feel like sleeping. It's the curse of the weekend, you think you can make up all the sleep debt soon so why not just accumulate a bit more now. (Like credit cards, towards the end of the month. Damn those bastards.)

I'm feeling quite nostalgic now. Maybe cos I met Josh for drinks tonight, which is also two things I haven't done for a long time: meet Josh and have drinks. He just came back from Philly and so much has changed there. Apparently the college buffet I frequented in desperation in my first days at college has disappeared; the 24-hour diner and old books store and the pharmacy round the corner from where I used to stay have all relocated. I really really miss the place... I don't think I've felt like that about Singapore, ever.

On the bright side, there are always new places to explore. Like Japan!! Can't wait can't wait can't wait. It will be my fourth holiday in a year. How crazy is that??? Sydney in August, Taipei in November, Hong Kong last month and Japan next month. Sydney was sweet, Taipei was comfortable, Hong Kong was fairly shit, but I have very high hopes for Japan. Except I really have to work my ass off before I leave. I have a guilt complex about taking holidays.

Maybe I'm blogging now to create the illusion in my own head that I have a lot of free time, because from Saturday onwards life gets a little crazy next week. My Colorado cheerleader friend from my exchange semester in Beijing is coming to visit this weekend and she's staying with me and I'm slightly terrified that I won't be up to the task of entertaining her for two whole days. Then Monday I have to work very hard at relaxing, cos the few days after that will probably be nonstop work. It's not that I don't like work, I suppose it's just that I wish there was more of the kind of work I like to do.

Ok there's a bee buzzing around my room terrorising me so I have to go dive under the blankets and pray it goes away.

posted by zyn :: 2:04 AM :: 1 Comments :: permalink


--------------------------------------------------------::--------------------------------------------------------