Feedback form to 91.3 FM

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Hi,

I was listening to Hutch's programme on my way home just now, at about 11.30pm, and I was appalled at his on-air manner. When I first tuned in I heard him call a listener (I think his name was Brian) to chew him out about some feedback that Brian had given on Hutch cutting songs short. Brian said it showed disrespect for the singer. But Hutch told Brian that if Brian ever cuts off his songs halfway on his personal iTunes, then it's "hypocritical" to tell Hutch not to do the same. But there is one big difference: Hutch is on air. This is a public playlist. I absolutely agree that it is disrespectful to the singer to cut off the songs halfway. No other DJ I have heard does this as abruptly as Hutch does; the best DJs, in fact, know exactly when to blend the end of the song into another song or some conversation. This is something worth learning.

The other thing I take issue with is Hutch's attitude towards callers - it's downright offensive. Calls are answered with a brusque "Hello?" without so much as a "You're on 91.3 FM." Obviously the caller will venture another "Hello?", at which point it would be nice to say "Yes, you're on air" rather than reply with another obnoxious and obtuse "Hello?"

After enough "Hello?"s have been said, the rest of the exchange (it would be heresy to call such rude interaction a conversation) is punctuated on Hutch's end with curt and snippy syllables: "Ok", "Ok", "Yeah", "Cool".

I heard one caller ask "Can I dedicate a song?" - clearly a polite prelude to the actual dedication - only to receive the scoffing answer "Of course you can, man, it's a dedication show." Surely there is no need to be so sarcastic.

I'm writing in because I like the songs on 91.3FM, and I think it would be a waste if the listening experience was ruined by rude DJs. I hope something can be done about this.

posted by zyn :: 12:21 AM :: 3 Comments :: permalink


--------------------------------------------------------::--------------------------------------------------------