keeping it real

Monday, February 02, 2009

Judging from my last entry, it's safe to say that while I agonise over crafting my columns coherently and compellingly, I have no such compunctions when it comes to my blog.

Still, one must make the effort, if only for posterity and that certain self-loving kick that comes from reading old entries.

I had an unglam day today. Woke up early to play frisbee with xh at East Coast, then we presented our sweaty stinky selves at 1 Twenty Six for brunch. The food wasn't bad, although my favourite brunch place remains Tin Hill at Sixth Avenue, if only for the memories. And it really is quite hard to finish off four fat slices of french toast, even if they're fairly tasty. If I ever open a brunch place, my menu will offer half-servings of everything so people can pick and choose. Who really eats a mound of pancakes for breakfast without eyeing their friend's grilled sausages covetously?

While we were there a work contact walked in to the restaurant, all dolled up in designer togs with angmoh bf in tow. She waved at me and I, acutely conscious of my untidy ponytail and cellulite-displaying short denim shorts, waved sheepishly back.

Having set the au naturel tone early, I decided to do without makeup for the rest of the day. (I can't remember the last time I went out in public without makeup, apart from the gym etc, but it's been months.) I drove my dad to the airport for his flight to BKK, then had a happy domestic day shopping for cars and buying dinner home for my family. Despite my naturally high levels of insecurity, I found the anonymity afforded by dowdiness surprisingly liberating. If you don't care how you look at all, it does free you up to care about other things. But there's the obvious trade-off, of course.

posted by zyn :: 12:04 AM :: 3 Comments :: permalink


--------------------------------------------------------::--------------------------------------------------------