heffy burpday baby

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

So the weekend was a smashing success, thanks especially to Shiyao's friends (who all turned up on time for dinner, even if they didn't quite yell "surprise!"), his family and the many lychee koolers. I'm glad to report that Marina Mandarin rooms are immaculate (bodes well for our bridal suite next year) and the spa (St Gregory's, no less) is equally good. Now to see if we can cry recession and get the catering people to throw in a couple of free massages for our wedding.

I must say that Shiyao's family is really, really nice to me. Not just his parents and brother, but his aunts, cousins and even his awesomely imperious grandmother. Already I've had more real conversations with her than I've ever had with any of my grandparents. She makes me want to wear knee-length floral skirts all the time and sit demurely without crossing my ankles. It's nice to feel happy about marrying into someone else's family.

I think part of why I enjoyed the weekend so much was because it was the first leave I've taken since June. Even though I was studying half the time, it felt so light and free not to have to worry about work. I think I really need a longer break from the office. I still like what I'm doing - even more so now that I'm covering two beats - but the people mix has completely changed and I'm tired of spending my days in a place where I don't really have any buddies left, and there are even people I want to avoid. But there's no point feeling sorry for myself: two and a half years will pass quickly enough and then I can do something that, even if I don't like more, will probably at least pay enough to make life outside of work better.

posted by zyn :: 12:54 AM :: 2 Comments :: permalink


--------------------------------------------------------::--------------------------------------------------------