a dream of me

Thursday, July 20, 2006

The thing about living alone is that if you don't buy food, the fridge doesn't magically restock itself. That really sucks, because right now I'm hungry but too lazy to go out and get food and I left the car at the office to avoid drinking and driving last night (see, Zinne, I so responsible).

But it's so nice to have the whole house to myself. Apart from the obvious benefits of being able to (1) blast my music from the top floor and hear it on the bottom; (2) walk around in my underwear; (3) come home at any time and in any state and not suffer the Singaporean Inquisition ("Why you go out so late and make your mother worry?"), there are lots of little perks to being on my own that I'd completely forgotten about after college. (Probably blocked them out under the pain of living with my parents.) Like - taking the newspapers to work and reading them with a cup of tea. That used to be a huge morning ritual for me at Penn; the thought of a steaming mug of Earl Grey was the only thing that got me out of bed on frosty mornings (okay, fine, afternoons).

And then there's the comfort of solitude. After interacting with human beings the whole day, it's a big relief to come home to a quiet house that doesn't expect you to be witty or interesting or indeed even in a good mood. No pressure, no obligations, no guilt. I can be as cranky and irritable and selfish as I want and no one will get in the way.

So. Awesome.

Of course much of this awesomeness may derive from its transience, in which case I shall just revel in it for as long as it lasts.


* * * * * *


so take the photographs and still frames in your mind
hang it on a shelf in good health and good time
tattoos of memories and dead skin on trial
for what it's worth it was worth all the while

it's something unpredictable but in the end it's right
I hope you had the time of your life


-- good riddance (time of your life), green day

posted by zyn :: 10:05 AM :: 3 Comments :: permalink


--------------------------------------------------------::--------------------------------------------------------