bonko and ah boy

Monday, June 18, 2007

After a fathers' day dinner tonight, my siblings and I sat around and had tea at Corduroy Cafe. It's the first time in years that all three of us will be in the same country for more than 3 months at a stretch, until next year, when my brother heads off to Cambridge.

At this stage I have more degrees than the other two combined. But they're both en route to PhDs, so in a decade or so I will be the least qualified. It's an amusing thought.

Sometimes I wonder if we're all really related. Then I look in the mirror. But the differences are truly vast - their idea of a good time, thanks largely to my mother, is to sit in a dusky tearoom, complete with chintz armchairs and low chandeliered ceilings, and have flower-flavored tea from delicate cups. My idea of a good time - well, the less said the safer.

And yet we're seldom not on the same page. With them I never have to dumb down, or try too hard, or struggle for things to say during awkward pauses. That's why it's always kinda nice whenever we get the chance to hang out, all three of us, without our parents to roll our eyes at.

As I watch them grow up, making the same mistakes I did, skipping some but stumbling into new ones, I can't help being glad that there are at least two people in the world I really do like rather a lot, who are smarter than me in almost every way but who let me pretend to be superior all the time.

I think they like me too.

posted by zyn :: 2:05 AM :: 2 Comments :: permalink


--------------------------------------------------------::--------------------------------------------------------