the problem with work

Sunday, August 19, 2007

is not that it's become less interesting. On the contrary.

The problem is that there's no longer anyone to smoke with. I started counting last night, and six of my seven previous smoking kakis have quit. The company, not smoking.

And when you can't walk around and have smoke breaks and talk about rubbish and think about something else completely irrelevant just for a short while - then work just becomes work just becomes work. Which then becomes a drag. And not the good kind.

I fear that going clean will make me a boring person. But I suppose it's time to grow up.

I don't understand jealousy. It's such an irrational emotion. All the books that teach you how to deal with jealousy seem to correlate it with self-esteem. To the extent that that theory holds, it's understandable; but sometimes it doesn't, and I'm at a loss to explain it myself.

posted by zyn :: 6:16 PM :: 5 Comments :: permalink


--------------------------------------------------------::--------------------------------------------------------