'shutthefuckup', or how to enjoy a movie in peace

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Say you are watching a movie in the cinema. A good movie. Not a noisy action flick, but a quiet, funny movie with good dialogue. The couple in the seats next to you are talking. Audibly. Consistently. Throughout the entire fucking movie. Saying inane, state-the-obvious things. Also, they are fat and ugly.

What would you do?

1. Seethe quietly but keep it to yourself
2. Say "shhhh!" softly
3. Say "excuse me, could you keep it down, please?"
4. Say sarcastically: "sorry, can you speak louder? I can't hear everything you're saying"
5. Say "SHUTTHEFUCKUP YOU MORONS IF YOU WANT TO TALK IN A MOVIE RENT THE FUCKING DVD"
6. Accidentally-on-purpose spill coke on them
7. Punch them
8. Call police

I tend to go with (3), in a polite, reprimanding, slightly uptight tone. Of course I am not above descending into (4), (5), and even possibly (6). Except I suspect Singaporeans will not understand sarcasm.

Once you confront them, they will probably mutter behind your back and whisper rude things and snigger. I'm okay with that. As long as they stop talking loudly.

The other day I went for karaoke with XH and TK. There was a group at the reception counter so we stood behind them. Just as the group moved off, these two China girls scooted in to take their place in front of us and started talking to the receptionist. I would probably have left them alone, but XH said "excuse me" in an increasingly loud voice to them and they just ignored (or maybe didn't understand) us, and that irritated me. So I elbowed my way in front of them and told the receptionist loudly that we had a reservation. The China girl seemed completely oblivious that they had jumped our queue, and equally oblivious that I was now talking. She just continued to talk. I was like, wtf??

Ok so maybe queues are not customary in China. But why do Singaporeans have such bad manners? Are they all badly brought up? Selfish? Oblivious? Deaf? I mean, wtf??

Driving home from the movie just now, we were caught in a jam on the CTE. The jam was because of an accident on the road shoulder. But the accident on the road shoulder wasn't actually obstructing any lanes - the holdup was caused by people slowing down in the left lane to gawk. COME ON. WTF???!!!

posted by zyn :: 11:49 PM :: 1 Comments :: permalink


--------------------------------------------------------::--------------------------------------------------------