lovelove

Sunday, August 26, 2007

I remember, with surprising clarity, a conversation some time ago about lovelove with pretty much the last person I would have imagined to coin the phrase. He was talking about a girl. I said, why her? And he replied: because it works better with her than with anyone else.

As you get older, love becomes more complicated. More people get involved, everyone has scars, and undiluted happiness becomes as much a myth as unconditional love.

But if there's one thing I've learned, it's this: you can't love to order. It comes, as my wise friend (another word I would not ordinarily associate with him) said, when you're with someone with whom it works better than anyone else. If you could decide whom to love and why, how much easier and poorer the world would be for it.

And once you resign yourself to the fact that you love the people you love and you can't change that any more than you can change the shape of your nose, then, I think, you grow up. If you can stop loving someone just by willing yourself to do so, you probably never really loved that person in the first place. Not being able to stop even when you want to, I've learned, isn't a character flaw.

So here's to lovelove - to those who have it, those who don't, and those who found it but had to let it go.

posted by zyn :: 1:46 PM :: 2 Comments :: permalink


--------------------------------------------------------::--------------------------------------------------------