toys r us

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Lookie my new toy!



Lookie what my new toy can do! It can take pictures of other people's new toys!



I love this penguin.

Shopping for techie things is almost as fun as shopping for bags and shoes. After all, they're accessories too. And like shoes (not so much bags), the moment I buy a techie thing, I regret it. I walked into Parisilk at Holland V on Saturday with every intention of buying the Canon ixus 60, and I was about to pay for it when I saw a whole row of pretty, pretty cameras lined up on the shelf like so many beauty pageant contestants on a catwalk. So I asked the shop assistant guy - Indian, so one presumes he knows his tech stuff (yes I'm racist, so are you) - what other cameras he had in my price range. He whipped out the Fujifilm z2 and took a few quick shots with the hugeass LCD screen. I was immediately sold, and so was the Fujifilm.

Of course once I got home I started thinking, shit, I bought a camera based on the recommendation of someone who owns the shop?? What kind of sucker am I?? (Rhetorical question, thanks.)

Didn't help that the Fujifilm takes really noisy pictures in low light without flash at anything less than its maximum ISO (1600). But then I took it to my cousin's wedding and compared it to my other cousins' cameras (Canon ixus 750, Panasonic lumix) and realised the colours are actually far superior to the other (more expensive) models. Its main feature is the low-light-no-flash thing, and it takes amazingly sharp pictures, despite the noise. Must compromise lah. And the Fujifilm has an internal lens and turns on when you pull the slider back, and I turned off the beeps and trigger click, so it's an awesome spy camera. Doesn't make any noise at all. Heh heh heh.

Anyway all the cameras I've ever had have been Fujifilm, and the picture qualities have been uniformly good, so.

Holidays ah, really expensive. Not only must pay for flight, hotels, ferries, trains, etc; also must buy stupid things like camera and guidebooks. The next time I go on holiday I will choose destination based on which has the cheapest guidebook.

Hectic weekend = cannot hit 60 by tomorrow night, which is when I fly. :( Oh well, I'm sure we can find a cybercafe somewhere that has WoW installed. Fortunately I'm travelling with someone who - legend has it - skips classes to play Warcraft. Heehee.

This time tomorrow I'll be on a plane to Athens. Quick quick quick! Can't wait.

posted by zyn :: 9:02 PM :: 2 Comments :: permalink


--------------------------------------------------------::--------------------------------------------------------