home and sleepy

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

What you first do when you get home from a holiday - how indicative is that of who you are? (Wah four question words in one sentence, well done me.)

Bangkok is amazing. I want to live there. It's like Singapore, but amplified. Everything is bigger, louder, hotter, noisier, dirtier, cleaner, friendlier, and more unpleasant all at once. We were walking along the street one day and a baby elephant ambled past me. Of course I immediately went into ecstasies of rapture ("ohmygodohmygodohmygodbabyelephant!!!") and started entertaining blissful visions of buying it and crossing off one of my seven things to do before I die. Unfortunately these happy thoughts were swiftly and ruthlessly crushed by my brother's unimaginative pragmatism.

Me:
*squeeeee* baby elephant baby elephant! I want to bring it home!

My brother:
Think of how much it would eat.

Me:
But it's only a baby elephant! I could feed it grapes!

My brother:
Yeah, but baby elephants tend to become, like, you know, adult elephants. Think of how much it would eat then.

Realising that my brother was clearly on a determined and relentless crusade to snuff out all bright spots in my bleak life, I subsided. Not without much muttering, though. Muttering, that's the stuff of rebellion, that is.

On the trip I also discovered, to conflicted emotions of horror and amusement, that my brother knows the word "bling".

Trying on sunglasses at one of Bangkok's many, many beautiful and sparkling malls, he picked out a huge pair studded with rhinestones and went, "Yo, check this out, this one has bling. Am I pimpin' or what?"

Naturally I was speechless. If anyone can come up with an appropriate response I'd be delighted to get feedback on this one.

posted by zyn :: 2:37 AM :: 1 Comments :: permalink


--------------------------------------------------------::--------------------------------------------------------