all i want for christmas

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

is my two front teeth, without braces. And whaddaya know, I got them today from the dentist santa (second cousin of the tooth fairy)! Yay!

(Aside: Why do we say "all I want for christmas IS my two front teeth" and not "all I want for christmas ARE my two front teeth"?)

Although it's all a bit anticlimatic because I don't recognise myself in the mirror anymore and also I have to wear these inner retainers that continually trigger my gag reflex.

I admit that this whole braces thing was quite a stupid idea (enough with the 'I told you so's, Janne). Everyone asked me why I needed braces and I always told them that it was because my teeth grew crooked in college, which is true, but I think the closest I ever got to the real reason was a conversation I had with K once:

K: So how come you got braces?
Me: Well... my teeth weren't straight and they stuck out in front and I'd just broken up with this asshole and -
K: I see.

In any case, I don't regret it. Even now I'm not sure if I really did it as a reaction to a bad breakup or if it simply coincided with my then-state of bewildered singlehood. I can smile big big again, and that's all that really matters.

My dentist was so thrilled with my teeth today that she wanted to bring me to the photo studio across the road to take glamour shot. Since I'd dragged myself out of bed in cargo pants, I politely said no. Then I surreptitiously ran off to the bathroom and spent five minutes baring my teeth at the mirror to see whether really that nice or not.

I think they're okay lah, although when c7676 saw them he said "Wah!" very loudly and gratifyingly. Haha.

(Yes I went back to work even though I'm on leave because, well, that's what I do. But I probably spent more time writing Christmas cards and coming up with Christmas gift ideas than doing any actual work.)

Anyway off I go to eat apples now. And satay and nougat and chewing gum and chicken wings. Yummydummytummy!

posted by zyn :: 11:11 PM :: 3 Comments :: permalink


--------------------------------------------------------::--------------------------------------------------------