fat and lazy

Saturday, January 06, 2007

You know that cliche about gamers being flabby and oily and slouching in front of the computer eating greasy chips with one hand while pressing keys with the other, a la South Park?

Well, it's true.

So I have coerced my brother into battlegrounding for me (he's skinny, he can handle it) while I attempt to avoid the downward spiral of fatty laziness by surfing the net on my bed.

It doesn't help that I'm feeling fat and lazy at work too. I can't snap out of the lingering holiday mood, now exacerbated by the knowledge that I have one glorious week of leave coming up soon. Yes I took leave to play Burning Crusade. I have probably hit an all-time low, except right now for some reason it feels like an all-time high.

Take today, for instance. For a few hours when I thought I was on the exclusive trail of some secret information, I felt a bit more like my old self - jittery, exhilarated, and running on adrenaline. Then I found out that it wasn't an exclusive after all and promptly lost all interest in the story. Bleah.

On a more enlightening note, this is how you become a good conversationalist, according to the Economist, which as we all know is the font of witty one-liners and killer kickers:


  1. Speak clearly (me fail)

  2. Speak easily but not too much (probably also fail)

  3. Do not interrupt (ok pass)

  4. Be courteous (except, of course, where stupid people are concerned)

  5. Deal seriously with serious matters and gracefully with lighter ones (my philosophy in life is flippancy)

  6. Never criticise people behind their backs (fail. abjectly.)

  7. Stick to subjects of general interest (this is why I always talk about Jay Chou, everyone is interested)

  8. Do not talk about yourself (see all these parentheses? fail)

  9. Never lose your temper (ah, finally, the one thing I can do)

  10. Remember people's names (and the one thing I can't)

  11. Be a good listener (yeah... mmmhmmm... uh huh...)


It strikes me that I know very few people who are good conversationalists. Fortunately this has never stopped me from having good conversations.

Possibly because I talk about myself all the time.

posted by zyn :: 12:24 AM :: 0 Comments :: permalink


--------------------------------------------------------::--------------------------------------------------------